People often make the common mistake of keeping one same password for all their email accounts which enable hackers to hit the jackpot since you are literally handing over all your email accounts to them.
To lay hands on your personal information, hackers use a number of ways to hack into your password so that they can access your email account. Email hacking allows hackers to exploit all your personal info. They can access any copyright data, can steal property, can withdraw money from an online bank account and this list can go on and on. Though, over the years programmers have developed a number of security points in order to avoid hacking but then we can never sideline hackers as they are clever enough to crack any hidden passwords, drilling hole into the security measures.
We, fortunately, have the a few computer security options that are a great help if you want to save your email from hackers. Following is a list of good, effective tips that can protect your email from hacking:
- Always pay attention when you login to your e-mail: It is one of the most common practices of hackers to hack into email accounts. They create fake login pages for stealing your password. Therefore, you must check if the given URL is authentic or not, before login into any website.
- Avoid using e-mail account on public computers: Do not use your email account on a public computer or at public places unless it’s absolutely unavoidable. Public computers are highly unsafe for opening your emails. You never know the computer owner might be stealing for your password by installing some spyware in his computer. Public places are unsafe as the person next to you can see your password and steal it.
- Always make use of secondary e-mail account: We often ignore the server prompt for a secondary e-mail id while setting up an email account. The secondary account can come very handy if you need to login from public computers. When travelling or in public place, you can forward all your important emails from your main email account to your secondary account. That way even if your password is hacked, your original email account will never be compromised.
- Check the last login IP at regular intervals: Gmail has added this amazing feature the helps you to check recent activities of your account. On the bottom right corner of your Gmail inbox you can clearly see your last account activity. Click on details and you will be able to track your last login IP along with other information. Watch out if you find anything suspicious.
- Always check bad filters: You should check the custom filters provided by Email services. Immediately change your password if you find an unknown sender.
- Do not click on suspicious links: Another common practice of hackers is to send suspicious links cleverly hidden behind attractive text. Clicking these links means “gift packing” your computer system to hackers. Remember, these hacking links can be hidden behind in an image, as well. In case you receive such special downloadable links from friends, then make sure they are safe to download into your system.
- Strong password: Email services usually show your password vulnerability when you select a password. But at times even strong password might not be strong enough. It’s best if you setup an alphanumeric password. Your passwords can be extra strong with the use of special characters.
We would advise you to connect with services that use https://. To sum it all up, you have to be careful as well as alert if you want to save your password from hackers.
Please share your views on the eMail Protection in the comments.